Developing rigorous Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) instructional programming in order to increase the number of Maricopa County students that pursue STEM courses and careers.
Engineering STEM Identities
Engineering STEM Identities is a three-year, three million dollar Investing in Innovation (i3) grant awarded to MCESA by the U.S. Department of Education.
Through Engineering STEM Identities, approximately 2,300 students in ten rural and urban school districts will be immersed in STEM cultures to explicitly build STEM identities and positively influence their persistence in STEM. Through these authentic learning experiences that give students opportunities to envision themselves as “STEM learners and workers”, research has shown that students are far more likely to pursue future STEM careers.
The I3 award is contingent upon MCESA securing a private-sector match of $450,000. This match may be a combination of in-kind and/or cash support matches. Fifty percent of this match must be committed by December 6, 2013, with the remaining match committed by July 3, 2014.
MCESA sees this match as an excellent opportunity for multiple organizations invested in Arizona’s future to come together for a better STEM future. As a result of acquiring the private-sector match, MCESA and the greater Arizona community will bring $3,000,000 to Arizona schools with an investment of just $450,000.
Program Summary (pdf)
Project Abstract (pdf)
Project Narrative (doc)
STEM Professional Mentors
Students decide whether or not they would like to pursue a STEM career by the end of eighth grade. By supporting students in building a STEM identity, they are more likely to see themselves as persisting in STEM and striving to become a STEM profes- sional. A crucial component to student STEM identity development is access to STEM Professionals as Role Models.
Want to get involved?
• Just meet with students via online video technology twice a month to help with classroom engineering design challenges.
• Engage teachers once per month in discourse about engineering design via online video technology.
• Share what you do and your passion for STEM through your conversations.
• Your volunteered time counts as an in-kind donation.
How will MCESA help?
• We will provide training for engaging with and supporting students and teachers.
• We will match you up with class- room teachers and students.
• And, we’ll be present via online video technology to help you share your expertise.
Want more information?
• Just give us a call. Contact Dr. Jacquelyn Kelly at 602-372-7295 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• You will receive information for training dates and specific class- room and teacher assignments.
• Students and teachers will greatly benefit from you as a STEM Professional Role Mode.
• Thank you for your support!